2006 Subaru STI: Weds TC105N vs BBS STI

With the switch of wheels, I was able to get the wheels and tires on a scale and compare numbers between my winter and summer combos. Because I'm not going to use the stock BBS wheels for summer, my weight savings is not going to be as much.

I was not able to weigh the BBS wheels by themselves, but doing a search on several forums shows that most people report them to be 19 lb each. With that information, I was able to estimate the weight of the Hankook Ice Bear winter tires.
  • Weds TC105N 17x8, cast = 15 lb (6.8 kg)
  • BBS STI 17x8, forged = 19 lb (8.6 kg)
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE070 (summer performance tire) 225/45R17 = 27 lb (12.2 kg)
  • Hankook Ice Bear W300 (winter performance tire) 225/45R17 = 25.5 lb (11.6 kg)
  • Summer wheel/tire combo (Weds/Bridgestone) = 42 lb (19 kg)
  • Winter wheel/tire combo (BBS/Hankook) = 44.5 lb (20.2 kg)
Because the Bridgestone performance tires weigh more, when I do the summer swap with my setup there's an overall weight savings of 2.5 lb per corner (or a total savings of 10 lbs of unsprung weight). Of course, versus the stock BBS/Bridgestone setup I've saved 16 lb of unsprung weight in total.

When I'm shopping for new high performance tires, I'll definitely be looking for something lighter than the Bridgestone RE070.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2006 Honda Odyssey Navigation Screen Hack

Wheel-Tire size comparer

2006 Honda Odyssey - 9229 km - V1 radar detector installed